August 9, 1834

The road from St. Louis to St. Charles was declared a public road on this date. It was laid out in 1772. In 1865 it was improved with a rock surface and has been known as St. Charles Rock Road ever since.


August 2, 1956

Missouri became the first state to award a contract under the new Interstate Highway law. The first contract was for work on Interstate 44 in Laclede County. Lebanon had the dubious honor of being the first town in Missouri by-passed by an Interstate highway.