September 15, 1911

The first stones were removed from a wall so that a gateway could be created connecting the Union and Confederate sides of Springfield’s National Cemetery. 

This post was contributed by Ross Malone. A historian and a retired school teacher, Ross has authored many books about Missouri’s history, weird facts, and folk tales. He has also written children’s historical fiction. Visit his website, and buy his books in the Missouri Life store.